Sunday, February 14, 2010

Prayer As A Love Letter

Prayer As A Love Letter

Intro.:  I do a lot of talking.
  1. Some people would say that I talk too much.
  2. But I do try to say important things – things worth saying, things worth hearing.  You will need to make up your own mind.
  3. I even say “I love you” - I even say it at the right times.  Yesterday was a good example – Sandra was feeling the loss of her mother in the morning.  There wasn't much I could say, but I listened for a while before heading for the shower and beginning my day.  But I had a trick up my sleeve.  I was waiting for the knock at the door.  I then had a choice.  I could go up stairs and open the door – or I could call up to the bedroom and ask Sandra to get the door.  I don't know, but I am sure she was irritated that I wouldn't take the time to open the door.  But, you see I knew what was there, she did not.  She went to the door – at first she did not see it.  Then she said there's something stuck on the door.  It would take her a full minute to realize that the package was for her.  It was the flowers I had ordered three days earlier – that I did not know at the time, would arrive just in time to relieve some of Sandra's grief.  Sometimes I say “I love you” at just the right time and in the right way – even without knowing it.
  4. But my wife is not the only one I need to say I love you to
                            - there is my dog
                            - there are my three boys
                            - and there is my God
  1. And how do I say “I love you” to God – There are any number of ways.  I can say “I love you” with my thoughts – keeping them centered on Jesus.  Or I can say “I love you” by my actions.  Or I can say “I love you” by what I say – either to others or to God himself.
  2. Speaking to God and His speaking to us – that is where I want to spend some time looking at over the next few weeks -
  3. I would like to spend some time today looking at “Prayer As A Love Letter” - 

Read:  Psalm 17:6-9

Pray

Trans:  Now is time for some confession.
  1. I am still learning to pray.
  2. When it comes to the morning service, I really enjoy our music, I love to hear the scripture read, I enjoy sharing with you, but there is something about praying that just seems …. hard.
  3. Now, don't the idea that I don't pray, I just have never studied this prayer thing.
  4. And I, along with you, will spend these next few weeks looking at prayer.
  5. So, as we spend lent looking at prayer, I am expecting to grow along with you.  I will learn along with you about prayer.
T.S.  In the next few minutes,  I want to look at three basic principles that can begin to define our prayer life
  1. Principle #1:  I know the answer if I do not ask (Matthew 7:7-8)
    1. Actually, this is a principle I learned in life.  If I need something, if I want something, if I refuse to ask for it, I most likely will not get it.
    2. As a principle it is not quite as true in our spiritual life as it is in our human lives – God, in all His grace, will give us what we need and, often give us what we want, even if we do not ask.
    3. And it is a principle that Jesus himself gave us.  We find it on the sermon on the mount – in Matthew 7:7-8 - “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.”[1]
    4. Actually, Jesus' words are even stronger.  His words are actually, “keep on asking … keep on seeking … keep on knocking” and it will be given to you.
(Ill.)  Now I want to be careful here.  I have a dog that really likes Sandra and he really likes pop corn – the buttered kind, the kind that I bring home from the movie theater.  And he will sit and beg, and sit and beg, and sit and beg … - you get the idea.  Eventually I may throw a piece onto the floor – and he is happy.  Occasionally, I will a piece on my stomach so he jump up and get it.  And, when I am feeling particularly mean spirited, I will point to stomach and say, “Come see what I have!”  even when there is nothing there – I did not lie, I just asked BoDandy to come and see what was there.  Sorry, guy, nothing was there.  I then lean over and grab a treat for him.
 
God does not work that way.  He does not have the role of playing tricks on us.  He is not merely giving out treats.  When he says to keep seeking, to keep knocking, to keep asking, he is trying to help us to remember that we must depend on Him – not just for the treats, but for everything.[2] 
    1. In the rush of life, it is easy to forget to depend on him – this week you will find times when you will forget to depend on him.  And it is at those times that you, that I, will remember that Jesus calls us to keep seeking, to keep knocking, and to keep asking.
    2. And that leads us to our second principle ...
  1. Principle #2:  Pray without ceasing (I Thessalonians 5:17)
    1. Other translations say it this way, “pray constantly” or “pray continually”  This principle is probably more familiar – but harder to implement. 
    2. I mean, you really do not want to see me driving down the street with my eyes closed and hands clasped in front of me.  “Keep me and those around me safe ...”
(Ill.)  I remember when I first met my wife – I wanted to spend time with her.  Now what did on our campus quad was sit out under this  huge maple tree.  I timed it just right, so she had to see me as she walked out of class.  I was too timid to just walk up to her – but I let her come to me.  At first, she just thought it was coincidence – but it did not take her too long to realize that it was planned.  I needed to ready to meet her – and I was really glad she was ready to meet me.
“Pray without ceasing” means we need to be ready to meet God anytime, anyplace.
    1. Let me give you three hints that may just allow you to do just that.
        1. Read your newspaper or listen to the news prayerfully. Among the people you will read about are believers, potential believer, people who are hurting, people in need of God's grace.
        2. Use your ears to know when to pray.  Each siren you hear (whether police, fire, or ambulance) represents people who need God's presence – both those come to assist and those who are in need of assistance – they all need our prayers.
        3. And listen to conversations around you.  As you listen to your neighbors, as you listen to your co-workers, as you listen to your friends, they will be sharing their needs.  Don't be afraid to say, “Do you mind if I pray about that?”  Regardless of what they say, you can pray, but you have let them know you care.  You have let them know that God cares.
  1. Principle #3:  God answers Prayer (I John 5:14-15)
    1. It is sometimes easy to forget that God does answer prayer:  
And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him. 
    1. I began by suggesting that prayer might be considered a love letter. 
    2. Prayer lets us communicate our love for God 
(Ill.) Listen to the words of Augustine, “What are you, my God? What are you, but the LORD God Himself? You are the highest, the most righteous and the most powerful being. You are the most merciful, and yet the most just. You are the most mysterious, and yet the most present.  What shall I say, O my God, my life, my holy joy? What can any man say when he speaks of you?"
    1. But as God answers our prayer, we are also reminded that He loves us.
Conclusion:  This week, as you put into practice the lessons on prayer, remember that as He answers, he is whispering, “I love you, too.  I love you, too.”

Pray


[1]The Holy Bible : English standard version. 2001. Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

[2]Courson, J. (2003). Jon Courson's Application Commentary (42). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson.


No comments: